Good mornings work.
1. Refitted the old rear light cluster.
2. Rebuilt the exhaust join. Still working on the principle that
the vibration/torque from the engine is causing the joint to vibrate
until it comes loose. The basic exhaust is 54cm outside diameter so
bought a short length of 56mm Stainless Steel that I can use to surround
the joint and provide extra support to prevent it flexing.
attempt is here:
The 56mm pipe was just too tight to fit over the 54mm exhaust so I cut a
groove in it so that it would slide on and then be compressed by the
brackets to seal the unit. Turns out I cut too big a gap, so even when
tightly clamped there is still a 3mm gap, but I decided to try it
anyway. If (when) it fails again then I know next time to cut a much
narrow gap, probably just 1mm. Also I made it only long enough to
cover the join. Once mounted i can see I could probably make it 1"
longer, so If I have to do it again my next attempt will be better.
Luckily I still have enough pipe left.
3. Air locks in the cooling. I had previously got
enough out as I could in a static situation by opening the top of the
radiator and filling it while squeezing all the pipes. But this has
it's limitations and the only real solution is to allow the engine (and
therefore the water pump) to run with the top off the expansion bottle
to allow air to work it's way around and be released through the open
cap. Unfortunately, because of the design of the system you
immediately hit a Catch-22 situation. Once you start the engine and
it begins to warm up, the trapped air very quickly expands and pushes
the level of the liquid in the expansion tank out of the open cap.
had woken up this morning with a solution, which was to wrap a cloth
around a funnel and force it into the bottle, thereby extending it's
height. That proved to be 95% OK, but an extra towel wrapped around it
made it 100% successful.
As you can see, after starting the engine, within 2 minutes the water
level had risen to half the depth of the funnel. But then I starting
squeezing the top and bottom cooling pipes and it was quite encouraging
that a lot of bubbles came out. In fact, after a bit I managed to expel
enough air that the water level dropped down below the level of the
funnel. So I definitely got rid of some air, it remains to be seen if
it helps at all.