She has been running well but I just felt after the last few runs that she was a bit reluctant to change gear, no noises but seemed to be a bit stiffer and I was having to put more pressure on the clutch. I decided the clutch cable has probably stretched a bit since I installed it so first job was under the car and wound up the adjustment a bit. Feels much better now.
I also noticed the exhaust had started to rattle again, but the cause of
that was obvious when I checked, the rear mounting bolt had come loose
again, like it was when I first bought her. Decided the sensible thing
to do was to fit a lock nut to prevent it happening again.
Then decided to look at the practicality of fitting the flexible joint
to the exhaust pipe. As you can see from the picture I can't replace
the existing 'fixed' joint with the flexible one, there just isn't
enough room between the 4:1 joint and the lamda sensor. . What looks
like the best solution is to cut the pipe half way between the lamda
sensor and the bell housing and add the joint in there. I don't want
to trash this exhaust system but I have another complete one in the
attic and another off E-Bay I hope to get soon for around £30-£40, so I
can experiment on those.
While I had the heat shield off (again) I decided it was time to do
something about the mounting. The present system is that the top is mounted on
2 bolts in the side panel, which are fine, and then 3 self-tapping
screws on the bottom. I had always found them a pain to get back in,
having to do it almost blind to find the holes and with the shield
always trying to spring away. So it was time for a better solution.
So I got a piece of
1/2" x 1/2" wood and mounted 3 captive bolts on it, lined up so they
exactly fitted 3 holes in the heat shield. I then mounted the wood
permanently onto the underside of the body, using the self-tappers and
with the captive bolts pointing down.
Although you can hardly see it under normal circumstances I did paint it black to make it completely invisible
Result, removing and replacing the hear shield is now a very quick and simple operation.
Finally had a play with the daylight running lights. The original fit
of some cheap LEDs mounted on the top wishbone was meant to be a 'proof
of concept' and to get the wiring done properly before I mounted some
So as some decent ones had arrived from Hong Kong (as
they were proper running lights they cost more, £5 for 2 )
I decided to fit them.
Mounted them vertically on the side of the
nose cone, using some scrap stainless steel to move them out slightly
and riveting them to the body.
And they look good and work well. The only problem is that I have got
quite attached to the original ones so haven't taken them off. And
they do provide better visibility for other drivers on these grey